My son’s high school graduation is on the horizon. As he stands on the edge of the next phase of his life I’ve been thinking a lot about what life lessons I can pass along to him.
Of course, he’ll learn his own as he meets new work and life challenges but, as a parent, my job is to make sure I plant some guideposts to ease his way.
That’s why this 2019 article about Warren Buffet’s greatest life lessons caught my eye. Then turning 89, he was asked about his six best pieces of life advice. They’re pretty simple.
6 Life Lessons to Master
- Marry the right person. The biggest decision of your life, he says, will change your aspirations.
- Invest in yourself. Learn to communicate both in writing and in person – a skill that can increase your value by at least 50%. And take care of your body and mind. If you were given one car for your whole life, how would you treat it so that it lasts?
- Associate with ‘high-grade’ people. Surround yourself with people who are better than you are
- Work for people you respect. And don’t just take a job for the money.
- Ignore the noise. Keep a level head and stay the course when investing.
- Success isn’t measured by money. Love is. Push it out and it comes back tenfold.
- What are the life lessons you can pass on?
- How can you keep them alive for yourself?
CEOs typically place their first call to Coach Kevin with a crisis to solve. They stay because of his business acumen and no-holds-barred, tell-it-like-it-is style.
Kevin’s career spans 20 years, over a dozen countries and four continents. He’s worked with hundreds of CEOs and executives, helping them to break through business challenges, grow their companies and find personal success along the way.
These experiences inspired Kevin’s book, Your Oxygen Mask First, in which he reveals the 17 habits every leader must know to transcend the perils of success, and achieve even more.
About Lawrence & Co:
Lawrence & Co’s work focuses on sustainable and enhanced growth for you and your business. Our diverse and experienced group of advisors can help your leaders and executive teams stay competitive through the use of various learning tools including workshops, webinars, executive retreats, or one-to-one coaching.
We help high-achieving leaders to have it all – a great business and a rewarding life. Contact us for simple and impactful advice. No BS. No fluff.