“Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.”
– Danny Kaye, actor
I have two questions for you – and be brutally honest with your answer:
- On a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high), how good are you at enjoying life in tandem with your head success?
- Would you want someone you love to spend a lifetime living exactly as you are right now?
If your answer is not an enthusiastic, unqualified, ‘Heck yeah’, you’ve got work to do, my friend.
Life is meant to be a grand adventure. No one comes into this world only to have a booming business or legendary career. A truly amazing life is not just achievement…it’s enjoyment of your achievement. It’s enjoyment of life.
If you’re not shouting from the mountaintops about your life, don’t kid yourself into thinking you’ll suddenly feel deep joy when your business reaches a certain pinnacle. That’s not how life works.
It’s easy to get addicted to success. Business achievement is a high that consumes many leaders—but it is not the only purpose in life. You deserve, and can have, a much larger sense of fulfillment; a sense that all aspects of your life are rewarding and satisfying. As a leader, it’s easy to lose sense of the bigger picture: to see nothing beyond hitting your next big goal.
High-achievers are incredibly hard on themselves – and often sacrifice themselves, and their personal lives, in the quest for success. It doesn’t have to be that way, so over the next month, we’re going to talk about what it takes to live an amazing life.
You need to work on this if…
- You rate your current enjoyment of life less than nine out of 10.
- You would feel you had used your life well, if it ended today.
- You tend to use up your passion for work, and have little left for the rest of your life.
- It’s not normal for you to look forward to things in your life.
- You often find yourself thinking or saying “woulda, coulda, shoulda”.
Join me for the next instalment of the Living an Amazing Life series when I explore the difference between the success in your head and your heart.